New to St Bart's?
If you are new to St Bart's or to Sydenham, or are simply looking for more information about our church before attending, we hope these pages will be helpful. This section is currently under development.
- For more information on our activities, such as music or bible study, go to our activities page
- If you have questions about what our services are like, try our FAQ page
- If you are new to church, or our style of church, you may find our page of terms used helpful.
- We also have a series of sermon transcripts online to explain the meaning behind the Eucharist, our main service in Anglican churches.
New to Christianity
There are lots of online resources to help with a basic (and not-so-basic) understanding of the faith.
- The Church of England central website has sections on Faith, Worship and About the Church which you may find useful.
- This CofE page on what it means to be a Christian also has links to other sites.
- Bible texts are available online. Oremus has bibles and also prayer books, hymns and other resources for prayer and worship.
- The Bible Gateway has a large range of bible translations.
- Wikipedia has an extensive Christianity Portal that you may find helpful for reference.
(These are all external sites so we can take no responsibility for opinions expressed there, or any discrepancies in facts; however they have been found to be generally reliable.)
Courses in Christianity and Confirmation
Every year St Barts runs a series of classes in basic faith matters for the confirmation candidates. Classes are held every week for 13 weeks leading up to the confirmation service in November, and are based on the Emmaus training materials.
We also have a bible study and book group which runs several meetings and courses each year. Its activities are open to all adults whatever your current level of knowledge - see our programme on the events page